- Let me begin by sharing some quotes.
“Life is too short to waste any amount of time on wondering what other people think about you. In the first place, if they had better things going on in their lives, they wouldn’t have the time to sit around and talk about you. What’s important to me is not others’ opinions of me, but what’s important to me is my opinion of myself.”― C. JoyBell C.
- “Believe it can be done. When you believe something can be done, really believe, your mind will find the ways to do it. Believing a solution paves the way to a solution.”David J. Schwartz,
- “Live the Life of Your Dreams. When you start living the life of your dreams, there will always be obstacles, doubters, mistakes, and setbacks along the way. But with hard work, perseverance and self-belief there is no limit to what you can achieve.”Roy T. Bennett
- “Those who mistrust their own abilities are being too wicked to themselves, discouraging themselves from doing what they should have been excelling in. If you are good at discouraging yourself, you can’t be a good leader because leadership is built on inspiring others to face challenges.” Dr. Samuel Odeke.
I will start with my story and how believing in yourself is important.
Growing up with relatives is something that I believe shapes people. I am one example, that grew up with relatives. I remember so well everything that happened. Let me share with you what I learned. I remember most of the time, there was a negative attitude of lack and poverty. There were comments such as things are tough and life is hard. As I grew up, I began to think, do trees also live in poverty? what about the birds in the air and fish in the water. I realized that if I keep those patterns of behavior, I was going to be affected. So I decided, I will always focus on the positive side of life. When I encountered a hopeless situation, I would speak to myself saying. All will be okay. This too shall pass. Only the strong will win and succeed. I remember staying with an aunt who was so negative all the time, but I never bothered to carry her words. But one thing that struck me was my grandmother. I recall her telling us to have faith in God, trust God and believe in ourselves.
On one occasion, we were planting groundnuts when she said, you are destined to be a great person. She said when you grow in good soil, you will be a great tree. This grandma planted some seeds of greatness in my mind because of her ideas. And when those seeds grew, I became a positive person. and I began to think about my personal philosophy. Every person has a seed in them but most of them never become a tree. There are many reasons why this does happen. One key reason is your personal philosophy.
What is philosophy? In the university, this word was misused and it made me think about it as a bad word. But over the years, I have learned that everyone is a philosopher. In fact, Philo means to think or sophy means to love. A person who loves their thoughts is a philosopher. I also believe that most human beings were born to be great but most of them will die never influencing their neighborhood. Also, influence means dominating in life. Influential people are not necessarily famous or popular. Popular people are like musicians, politicians where people love you for a moment and crucify you later. But influential people are impactful, they make a difference, change lives, add value. Famous people are like the popular ones, have a flame going up and die. Second, imperative that I believe, is that you must believe in yourself even when nobody believes in you. One day I got a book about success, I thought prayer was the first topic about success. Instead, I found out that it was believed in yourself. I thought about this for a long time. what does it mean? To me it means:
1- have confidence in yourself.
- never have self-pity on yourself.
- stop expecting people to help you.
- imagine yourself at the top of the game.
- learn how to avoid the daily neglects.
- do what it takes, so you get the results you want.
- learn to take care of errors.
- believe in your raw materials.
- believe in your potential.
Further, I believe also that successful believe in their own raw materials. Everything that you need in life is with you. Finally, I want to remind you, my goal is to equip and empower you to discover your potential and purpose so you can impact your generation. If you are struggling, do not wait. Seek help so I can help you. When you discover your purpose and potential you also discover your leadership. You were born to lead. Believe in yourself.
Dr. Samuel Odeke